Wednesday 29 May 2013

healthy dark chocolate "brownie" bites!

Oh, wait, I have a blog? No, I haven't forgotten. I'll just be honest and say I got real lazy folks. So what's happened in the last month? Well, I moved back home with my parents, I worked as a supply teacher, photographed my sister's prom, and most recently I'm working as a historical interpreter at the Milner Heritage House in Chatham. I'll be working full time at the Milner house for the rest of the summer! The job is amazing, I get to pretend I'm from 1905 and show people around a historical home.

 There's only one downside, I have to pack a lunch. I haven't packed a lunch since high school, and even then I would grab a Michelina's pasta dish from the freezer and run out the door. As delicious as Michelina's are, they don't exactly top the health scale and since I've started trying to eat fresh and healthy foods they're not as tasty as something I could make myself. 
While grocery shopping for some snacks I could grab and go with I came across Dole's Double Dark Chocolate Bites. Uh, YUM. They're new and they have no artificial preservatives and are made with real chocolate. I loved the taste, but the fact that brown sugar was the third ingredient might have something to do with my love affair. After eating this bites of goodness on a daily basis and dissecting them as I ate I decided, I can make these myself... but healthier. So began the creation of my first recipe! They're not as sweet as the original Dole version, but I still think they're delicious. Bonus, no added sugar! So without further ado, here's my recipes for healthy dark chocolate "brownie" bites. 


Ingredients 
1/2 cup mixed nuts 
1/2 cup rolled oats 
1/4 cup ground flax
2 tsp cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda 
2 bananas 
1 tsp vanilla 
1/8-1/4 cup honey 
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Instructions 
Preheat oven to 350
Chop the nuts until they're as small as you'd like, I used a slap chop and it worked great. 
Mash (I used my mixer) banana until smooth, add vanilla and honey and mix. 
In a separate bowl combine the chopped nuts, oats, flax, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Last, but not least add the chocolate chips and mix.
Place bites in a greased mini muffin tin and bake 10-12 minutes
Drizzle with some extra chocolate for looks and enjoy! 


Enjoy these bits of deliciousness and don't feel guilty about eating them! Stay tuned for some more lunch friendly recipes and updates about my summer-time life.

No comments:

Post a Comment